1. A PC is downloading a large file from a server. The TCP window is 1000 bytes. The server is sending the file using 100-byte segments. How many segments will the server send before it requires an acknowledgment from the PC?
2. A host device needs to send a large video file across the network while providing data communication to other users. Which feature will allow different communication streams to occur at the same time, without having a single data stream using all available bandwidth?
3. A technician wishes to use TFTP to transfer a large file from a file server to a remote router. Which statement is correct about this scenario?
The file is segmented and then reassembled in the correct order by TCP.
The file is not segmented, because UDP is the transport layer protocol that is used by TFTP.
Large files must be sent by FTP not TFTP.
The file is segmented and then reassembled in the correct order at the destination, if necessary, by the upper-layer protocol.*
5. Which scenario describes a function provided by the transport layer?
A student is using a classroom VoIP phone to call home. The unique identifier burned into the phone is a transport layer address used to contact another network device on the same network.
A corporate worker is accessing a web server located on a corporate network. The transport layer formats the screen so the web page appears properly no matter what device is being used to view the web site.
A student has two web browser windows open in order to access two web sites. The transport layer ensures the correct web page is delivered to the correct browser window.*
A student is playing a short web-based movie with sound. The movie and sound are encoded within the transport layer header.
6. Which transport layer feature is used to guarantee session establishment?
UDP ACK flag
TCP 3-way handshake*
UDP sequence number
TCP port number
7. What is the complete range of TCP and UDP well-known ports?
0 to 255
256 – 1023
0 to 1023*
1024 – 49151
8. Which two TCP header fields are used to confirm receipt of data?
9. What is a beneficial feature of the UDP transport protocol?
acknowledgment of received data
tracking of data segments using sequence numbers
fewer delays in transmission*
the ability to retransmit lost data
10. Which two flags in the TCP header are used in a TCP three-way handshake to establish connectivity between two network devices? (Choose two.)
11. What happens if the first packet of a TFTP transfer is lost?
The TFTP application will retry the request if a reply is not received.*
The next-hop router or the default gateway will provide a reply with an error code.
The client will wait indefinitely for the reply.
The transport layer will retry the query if a reply is not received.
12. Compared to UDP, what factor causes additional network overhead for TCP communication?
the identification of applications based on destination port numbers
the checksum error detection
the encapsulation into IP packets
network traffic that is caused by retransmissions*
14. Which factor determines TCP window size?
the amount of data the destination can process at one time*
the number of services included in the TCP segment
the amount of data the source is capable of sending at one time
the amount of data to be transmitted
16. During a TCP session, a destination device sends an acknowledgment number to the source device. What does the acknowledgment number represent?
the last sequence number that was sent by the source
one number more than the sequence number
the next byte that the destination expects to receive*
the total number of bytes that have been received
17. What is a socket?
the combination of the source and destination sequence numbers and port numbers
the combination of the source and destination sequence and acknowledgment numbers
the combination of a source IP address and port number or a destination IP address and port number*
the combination of the source and destination IP address and source and destination Ethernet address
18. Fill in the blank.
During a TCP session, the “SYN” field is used by the client to request communication with the server.
19. Fill in the blank using a number.
A total of __4__ messages are exchanged during the TCP session termination process between the client and the server.
20. A host device sends a data packet to a web server via the HTTP protocol. What is used by the transport layer to pass the data stream to the proper application on the server?
source port number
destination port number*
21. What does a client do when it has UDP datagrams to send?
It just sends the datagrams.*
It queries the server to see if it is ready to receive data.
It sends a simplified three-way handshake to the server.
It sends to the server a segment with the SYN flag set to synchronize the conversation.
22. What does a client application select for a TCP or UDP source port number?
a predefined value in the dynamic port range
a predefined value in the range of the registered ports
a predefined value in the well-known port range
a random value in the dynamic port range
a random value in the range of the registered ports*
a random value in the well-known port range